Home » TV

AMERICAN IDOL Season 8 Recap — Salt Lake City

Submitted by on January 28, 2009 – 10:21 pm 12 Comments

Now we’re talking. Tonight’s show had some very interesting, unique personalities who have Top 24 potential.

The Best:

• Frankie Jordan, a 23-year-old mom (with the cutest baby!) who stood out with Amy Winehouse’s “You Know I’m No Good.” She looked like Vanessa Carlton but had a Corinne Bailey Rae vibe. She’s spirited and cute and has a very likable persona.
  • Megan Corkrey, 23, another mom, recently divorced, with gorgeous eyes, beautiful mane of long hair and a blanket of tattoos on her right arm. She sang “Can’t Help Lovin’ Dat Man” from the musical Showboat, not the most contemporary of songs, but her voice was so distinctive it’s undefinable, her range was impressive, and did I mention she was gorgeous? She’s off to Hollywood.
  • David Osmond, 29, who’s living with MS. He’s Alan Osmond’s son (Donny and Marie’s nephew) but made it not because of his name; he could actually sing. Man, I really hope he stays healthy because the competition is going to be rough.
  • Rose Flack, 17, the tearjerker of the day. Her parents both died within the last 4 years and she’s been living with a friend’s family. She’s a barefoot hippie wearing platinum blonde pseudo-dreads and a tie-dyed dress. Her look was already distinctive and I thought if she could sing, she’d be golden. Sure enough, she sang Carole King’s “I Feel the Earth Move” with a maturity beyond her age and a soulful ache that made it believable. I hope luck will smile on this girl in Hollywood because so far, it seems to have kicked her in the teeth.

And the Next David Archuleta Is:

• Austin Sisneros, 17, an adorable little blond version of Archie. He made boring song choices, first Train’s “When I Look to the Sky” then Raffi’s “It Takes a Village,” but he’s a smiley, nice young boy with a big, mature voice. The tween girls are going to go nuts.

Most Ridiculous “Lucky” Charm:

• Why did Chris Kirkham bring his friend dressed in a pink bunny suit? Did he think he was auditioning for A Christmas Story 2? The whole thing was not only weird, it backfired. The judges liked the bunny friend more than they liked Kirkham.

Most In Need of a Massage:

• Tara Matthews, one of the most tense singers I’ve seen. She stood around stiffly, with her shoulders around her ears, and was completely humorless. Decked out entirely in black—dress, garters and gloves—she insisted she wasn’t trying to make a statement. She sang an awful version of “One Day I’ll Fly Away” from Moulin Rouge and then gave the camera the finger when rejected. Classy.

I think Salt Lake City provided the strongest batch of candidates since Phoenix. What’d you think? Check back tomorrow night for recaps of New York City and San Juan, Puerto Rico!

(Don’t miss out on any American Idol discussions this season—Subscribe to Obsessions of a Pop Culture Nerd by Email)

• ShelleyP says:

Ok, somehow I missed the Jacksonville show but just finished watching the SLC show, which sure had some promise.

Funnily enough, Frankie Jordan actually reminded me of Amy Winehouse to look at, but a much healthier model, free of hoochy-cooch and beatle juice and nothing nesting in her beautiful hair.

I found Megan Corkrey a tiny bit chipmunky at times (possibly nerves) but still liked it. Certainly distinctive and she has a lovely vibe. I’m looking forward to hearing her again.

Rose deserved her spot, that’s for sure (though I can’t cope with the barefoot thing, sorry. The germ factor alone – euwww).

Looking forward to the next installment!

• EireGo says:

I thought the show was boring last night. They kept building up Rose Flack with that annoying “coming up” device but then didn’t trot her out til the very last moment.

That’s something I’d like to know. How come they use that “coming up/preview” device so often? Are they afraid we are going to change channels? Are their ratings down?

• ScriptPimp says:

Give me a guy in a pink bunny suit any day of the week! I tell ya, the show is being directed by Fellini!

• FFBUFF8 says:

Where do they get these crazies?

I did enjoy Frankie, Megan and Rose though. BTW: Do we really need another David Archuleta?

• AReadBear says:

Not that I mind all that much, but why is Kara showing off her breasts all of a sudden?

Yes, I agree with your choices and I think Frankie Jordan has a good shot at it. Hollywood week is where the real test comes though and I can’t wait to see the fights.

• popculturenerd says:

ShelleyP,

I didn’t like the barefoot thing, either! When she jumped for joy, I saw the bottoms of her feet were BLACK and I went, “Ewww!” It made me think of Britney Spears going into all those gas-station bathrooms barefoot, which is so gross.

I like her very much but hope she wears shoes in Hollywood.

• popculturenerd says:

EireoGo,

I find the show’s “coming up” gimmick annoying, too. I always think, “They’re going to show it to us in 5 minutes, why do we have to sit through 2 minutes of previews now?” Ratings have been very healthy and they’ve been winning their time slots so I’m not sure why they’re so paranoid about viewers changing channels.

• popculturenerd says:

FFBUFF8,

You and I may not need another Archuleta but I think millions of tween girls may beg to differ!

• CCRoss says:

I’ve had the pleasure of knowing Megan Corkery since ’02 and I’m so happy to see her share her talent with the masses. She is a force of nature, beautiful, funny, and a true one of a kind. She’s one of the kindest, humble, people I’ve ever known. Not to mention that voice, and she can act! You guys are in to have your socks blown clean off!

• tyler durden says:

CCRoss said: You guys are in to have your socks blown clean off!

it’s already happened to Rose!

Rose’s presence will bring in the foot-fetish viewers, a demographic AI has probably been lacking

• popculturenerd says:

CCRoss,

It was obvious Megan is beautiful and talented, and I’m happy to hear she’s humble and kind, too. Let’s hope Hollywood won’t change her.

• Leonardi says:

I still can not forget when Megan sang this:

“..Fish gotta swim
    Birds gotta fly
    I gotta love one man till I die
    Can’t help lovin’ that man of mine

Tell me he’s lazy
    Tell me he’s slow
    Tell me I’m crazy
    Maybe I know
    Can’t help lovin’ that man of mine..”