Home » TV

NBC Ends LIFE

Submitted by on May 7, 2009 – 12:02 am 9 Comments

Chances were slim that the NBC cop show Life would be renewed for next season but I was still bummed when NBC co-chairman Ben Silverman officially canceled it today. This show was unique because of Damian Lewis’s performance as zen but quirky LAPD detective Charlie Crews, a man who spent 12 years in prison for murders he didn’t commit. When evidence finally clears him, he goes back to work instead of enjoying the $50 million settlement he wins from the city. He’s teamed with the acerbic, semi-alcoholic Dani Reese, played by Sarah Shahi, to solve cases every week but he’s really out to find out who framed him and why.

This show was well-written, wonderfully acted and differed from the multitude of police procedurals on the air. If NBC hadn’t given Jay Leno so much prime time, there could’ve been room for this show. If they cancel Chuck, too, I hope their ratings go down the toilet next season.

Any other Life fans out there lamenting its cancellation?

• Helen says:

Totally bummed out, that’s what I am!! I can’t believe all the crap they keep showing, but they cancel Life! Ooh, I’m so mad at NBC.

• Eddy says:

I agree, Helen. If they would give it another season and promote it heavily, I think that it would find an audience. Like so many other good shows, I think that it lost momentum during its writers strike hiatus.

(PCN – Clever title to this thread.)

• ShelleyP says:

I am lamenting with you. I loved this series for the reasons you’ve already given. It was so refreshing to find something different but still credible. Damn!

• popculturenerd says:

Though I’m mad at NBC, I’m happy to hear there are other fans out there. When I tried discussing this show with people, I usually got blank looks.

Did you feel the finale wrapped things up for you? Not for me; I wanted more. Just like Veronica Mars. Argghh!

(Thanks for the compliment, Eddy.)

• READER#9 says:

One of the few smart shows out there and they kill it? BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• Poncho says:

I liked the series, but it never quite caught up with me. I still think it was mad funny, and smart as hell.

• Roux says:

hey!!! save Life!! twitter #bringbacklife @USA_Network !

• Shemp says:

IT FIGURES…a show with interesting & flawed characters, very little violence, & a nifty, intelligent mystery/whodunit. LIFE was all these things & there it goes…but lawd knows, we certainly have enough “Reality TeeVee” & CSI clones to keep us “happy”! [sarcasm] The networks do not give shows enough of a chance!!! When MASH & All In The Family began, their ratings were only so-so (and the 1st season of MASH wasn’t even very good, really) yet they CAUGHT ON in time!