Home » Books & writing, Movies

THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE Trailer and Poster Revealed (Video)

Submitted by on June 14, 2009 – 1:24 am 20 Comments

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you might know I’ve been keeping tabs on the movie version of Audrey Niffenegger’s The Time Traveler’s Wife since it’s one of my absolutely favorite books ever. I wrote about it earlier here when a source saw it at a test screening (and about her next novel here).

I’ve since also seen a version that, if it’s not the final cut, must be very close to it. The film moved me deeply—it retains the spirit of the book while having to omit and change some things—but I’ll save a formal review for after seeing the finished product.

Meanwhile, the trailer is out and the one-sheet has been revealed. How gorgeous is that poster? I want to frame one and hang it in my den.

What do you think, TTTW fans? How excited are you? (UPDATE: Read my interview with Hailey & Tatum McCann, who play Alba at different ages in the film.)

• Shelley P says:

Well, the trailer made me cry so I guess we’re off to a promising start! That poster is stunning – and gosh damn it all, I am going to read that book!

• DonnaB says:

I am definitely excited! A different type of story that appeals! Haven’t read the book but will before the movie comes out.

• Julien says:

Waow, great trailer!
    Well, that is another book I have to buy and add to my pending reading pile, hoping I’ll find time to read it before the release of the movie!
    PCN, you’re becoming the main source of ideas for my purchases! (I think you should ask editors for royalties!)

• popculturenerd says:

Thanks, Julien, you probably have no idea how happy I am to hear that. I love sharing wonderful things with others and it’s nice to hear you don’t mind my hammering you with ideas!

I wish publishers would give me royalties. Then I’d buy copies of books I like and just send them to you and other readers who want them.

• Julien says:

What a generous idea, PCN, you really are a kind person!
        And I know what you mean by sharing things you like and be happy with it. You can keep on hammering us with your precious advice, it’s win-win for everyone! 😉

By the way, I offered 2 books to my mother last week: Elizabeth Gilbert’s “Mange, prie, aime” (in French of course, although I would have liked to read it in English, but the present was not for me! + English books are a little harder to find of course and quite expensive too!) and a novel from Douglas Kennedy… that she already owned!
        So I have to return the second one and change it. And the good news is now I know which book I’m going to chose instead!
        I’m sure my mother will like this time traveling story, and the good thing is I can then borrow from her the books I offered her before! 😉
        Oops, does this sound smart or just selfish?!! (To be honest, I wouldn’t offer her something I know she will not like! So I guess I’m still the nice son I think I am!)

• popculturenerd says:

I think you’re being very smart, Julien. That’s a solid plan!

I’m not sure how your mother could not love both books you’re giving her. (If she doesn’t, you can blame me!) I’ve never gone through anything like what Elizabeth Gilbert did before she embarked on her journey but I still got a lot from the book. She’s just an engaging writer telling a good tale.

As for TTTW, it’s a gorgeous love story that I think will still hold up decades from now. It’s a time-traveling story that’s timeless.

• BIZMAN5 says:

Loved the book, but feel the trailer is a bit overdone. I know it’s a complicated story, but it looks like the studios don’t have any faith in moviegoers and their ability to understand subtlety.

Still will go see it and I am really glad your sources gave it a thumbs up.

• Kari says:

It’s a relief to hear that a big fan of the book also enjoyed the film. I am REALLY SCARED that it’s going to be awful/schlocky/bad etc. It’s my favorite book and it’s so moving and wonderful, but it’s also dark and sad and eerie. I hope the movie retains that darkness.

• popculturenerd says:

Hi Kari,

I was apprehensive, too, but the movie quickly won me over, mostly because of Rachel McAdams. It’s different than the book in some ways but still dark and gut-wrenching and moving and beautiful and all those other wonderful things that made the book magnificent.

• Kari says:

I read bad things about the ending. Is the VERY end (you know what I mean) completely gone, or did they just add a “buffer” to it?

• popculturenerd says:

In the version I saw, the very end (titled “Always Again” in the book) is not there. I know there’s lots of concern about that—understandably so since it’s such a gorgeous coda—but I can only say I found the movie’s ending satisfying. It’s different but did not ruin the experience for me.

I thought the filmmakers did a nice job with a very complex novel and I hope other fans of the book (I know we’re quite passionate about it) won’t be harsh on the movie. No matter what the filmmakers did, the novel will always remain a beautiful thing.

• Kari says:

Thanks. I really hope they put it back. I know it was filmed. I know they won’t, but I really wish they would. It very much changes the meaning of the novel, IMO, and Clare’s waiting (which is such an important theme).

Well, I never read the book. But, I’m curious to see how a popular book/story handles the sci-fi aspect of time travel. The theme in the trailer reminds me of one particular episode of Deep Space Nine involving Benjamin Cisco and his son (which was one of the better, heartbreaking episodes). Thanks for the heads up, PCN.

• popculturenerd says:

My husband loved this book and the version of the movie we saw. I said, “I saw your eyes get wet” and he said, “They did not! I have allergies!”

I think it would make a great date movie with your wife.