Home » Books & writing, video

VIDEO: Lee Child on Jack Reacher vs. Joe Pike & Research

Submitted by on October 18, 2010 – 10:32 pm 16 Comments

To celebrate the release of Lee Child‘s Worth Dying For today (my review here), I’m posting a couple clips of Child being interviewed by Jacqueline Winspear in a spotlight interview at Bouchercon 2010, the fantastic event from which I’m still recovering.

In this first clip, a fan asked Child something he’s been asked often: If Jack Reacher fought Robert Crais’s Joe Pike, who would win? Click play for his answer. (Go here to see Crais’s rebuttal.)

This next clip has Child talking about his diligent research process:

Do you agree with Child’s assessment of how a Pike vs. Reacher fight would turn out? Where should he set his next book and what movie should he watch for research?

Check back later this week for more Bouchercon videos!

• Elizabeth says:

Agree with his assessment? HELLZ NO! Sorry Lee, I love Reacher but Pike would BURY. HIM. Period.

Great videos. Thanks for sharing with all us pathetic souls who were unable to attend with the cool kids. 😉

I hate this question, because it’s like asking a mother to pick which son she loves more! Ha!

While I agree that Reacher and Pike would be more likely to team up than fight each other, I believe that Pike could totally beat Reacher’s ass. Not quickly or easily, but he would prevail.

• Pike. Pike has far more varied skills and is less inhibited about using them. Reacher would be dead before he even knew Pike was in town.

I agree with Lee’s analysis that Reacher and Pike would never fight each other anyway. It’s not in their nature. They would combine forces and make an incredibly awesome team. THAT WOULD BE A BOOK!!

I think Child’s next book should be set in Los Angeles. This way Reacher would run into Joe Pike and an epic tale would weave itself. For research, he should just read all of Robert Crais’s and Michael Connelly’s books, But if I must choose a movie….I would go with Tequila Sunrise or To Live And Die In L.A..

“… even Robert himself admits that Reacher would kick his ass.”

Really?!? I have my doubts RC would agree with Child’s assessment. I didn’t see your stand on this, Elyse. What’s yours? Either way, as Christine as said, “… it’s like asking a mother to pick which son she loves more! Ha!“. All of this reminds of this conversation from the film, Stand By Me:

Vern: Do you think Mighty Mouse could beat up Superman?
    Teddy: What are you, cracked?
    Vern: Why not? I saw the other day. He was carrying five elephants in one hand!
    Teddy: Boy, you don’t know nothing! Mighty Mouse is a cartoon. Superman’s a real guy. There’s no way a cartoon could beat up a real guy.
    Vern: Yeah, maybe you’re right. It’d be a good fight, though.

Thanks, Elyse.

Haha! I see we have a lot of Pike fans here!

I agree with Child that the two wouldn’t fight each other but if I HAD to put my money on someone, I’d pick Pike. Reacher is big and powerful but Pike is often described as moving like a ghost and as soundlessly as a whisper. He’d be able to take down Reacher before Reacher even realizes Pike is there.

EIREGO—Love your suggestion of Reacher coming to L.A. and running into Pike (and maybe Harry Bosch?). Your recommended research material is top notch.

le0pard13—I think Child was joking because I don’t think Crais would concede Pike’s defeat. And that’s such a great excerpt from Stand by Me. Of course Superman is real!

• Dale says:

Was Lee making a joke? I want to think he was, but the first part of his answer put me off. It seemed childish.

Has RC said that Reacher could beat Pike? Really?

• The Reacher books are next up on my list after I catch up on more Joe Pike and Elvis Cole, so I can’t vote on that, but I find it hard to imagine anyone getting the better of Joe. Lee Child has a delightful sense of humour ~ I love his research philosophies!!

• Mark says:

Win would kick both their butts and so would John Rain. Reason; their both assassins.

• James says:

In a straight up brawl Reacher would win. That said, Pike would never let it get that far…he’d shoot Reacher from an invisible vantage point, pick up his shell casing and vanish.

• EDDIE FROM TEXAS says:

Let’s not forget about Johnny English.

• Ron says:

I think Nate Romanowski (Joe Pickett series by C.J. Box) would be a great match for either of them. I love them all!!!