LOST: Don’t Care Much About “What Kate Does”

by Sarah Carbiener

There’s only one thing I hate more than filler episodes of Lost, and it’s filler episodes that revolve around Kate (Evangeline Lilly). Even after learning of the episode’s title, “What Kate Does,” and lowering my expectations for it, I was still pretty disappointed by the final title card.

Most of my frustration was derived from the “flashbacks” to Kate the fugitive. (Those of you caught up on the show know why flashbacks is in quotes. Those of you who aren’t should be intrigued…) To me, Kate the fugitive was never half as interesting as Sayid the torturer or Charlie the has-been musician or even Jack the spinal surgeon with a god complex. In all the ways that the season premiere reminded me why I initially loved all these characters, this episode served as a reminder of all the reasons I didn’t love Kate. Despite that, the little details, hints, and callbacks in the flashbacks were really fun to watch for, and I wish there had been even more of them.

Back on the island, even in the scenes without Kate, they repeated other aspects of the show I grew tired of several seasons ago. Over and over again, the Oceanic survivors demanded answers from a group of mysterious captors who ignored their pleas for information. Thankfully, the episode did end with a mysterious, powerful figure being straight with Jack, and although it was a juicy reveal, it was too little too late.

This episode did set a lot of character dynamics, mysteries, and plot lines in motion for the rest of the season. If you plan on watching it all on DVD, you probably won’t even be bothered by how little happens here because the next episode won’t be 167 hours away.*

If you love Kate and Evangeline Lilly, I look forward to reading your comments defending her and her tracking skills. If she frustrates you like she does me, let it out!

*This observation would have been so much cooler if there were, say, 158 hours between episodes. Or 1623. Or 4.

8 Comments

Poncho
    February 10, 2010 at 10:15 am

SPOILERS AHEAD

While I don’t think “What Kate Does” was as killer as “LA X”, I do think it was a satisfying episode. The flash-whatever stuff left me wanting for more; I mean, I was scared what this would mean in terms of rebooting their evolution, yet they somehow have managed to create new questions (I know! I still want to see them answered, but…) which make me wonder about what could’ve changed. And… is she really innocent?… we know she shouldn’t be, but is she?

On the other hand, I’m starting to grow tired of the Sayid storyline… but the Sawyer/Kate thing was very interesting IMHO. And WTFH about Claire!! (I missed Locke/not-so-Locke, Richard and Ben, though)

Really, another week. I just can’t wait. The promo gave me goosebumps.

Sarah
      February 10, 2010 at 10:30 am

SPOILERS CONTINUE!!!!!!

The flash stuff just made me angry. I didn’t buy that Claire would get back in the cab with Kate, or that Kate would continue driving the cab at all since that’s what the police would be looking for. I like the questions they raised, but the plot they used to do it was pretty inane.

The Claire thing was AMAZING! She’s totally the next Rousseau. She lost her kid and everything. That was awesome, but I felt like the entire episode was just marking time until we saw her up on the hill. But I’m still crazy excited for next week.

BIZMAN5
    February 10, 2010 at 10:43 am

I have tried to stay with LOST from season to season, but now I just think it’s a joke. The writers had a great idea in the beginning….and then they all discovered mushrooms or dropped acid. Whereas I used to be fascinated by the individual storylines, now they just make me laugh. Kate’s episode was one more waste of time for me.

Not to take anything away from your review, but I really can’t figure out why anyone still watches this show.

EIREGO
    February 10, 2010 at 10:53 am

I hate those “Flashback” episodes! I can’t believe viewers are still duped by them. MESSAGE TO THE WRITERS OF LOST: Get on with the story already and tell us what the heck is really going on.

normaus
    February 10, 2010 at 5:29 pm

HI SARAH, I don´t care about her. I didn´t like her past as a fugitive and the reason for that is that I don´t believe that part of the story. It doesn´t work for me. Sorry.
    It´s also true that I had no problem to watch Sayid anytime on any circumstance. Girls, tell the truth. We want to see that guy. ALWAYS.
    And we find out that he was a terrible torturer. And all the girls want to see Jack too, of course. And Charlie…. It´s very clear to me.
    But the truth is that I hate those flashbacks so much that I LOST interest. Still want to know how it ends.

Pop Culture Nerd
      February 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm

You’re making me laugh, norma! Since you asked for the truth from us ladies, I have to say I was never a fan of Sayid. Never liked any of the men much (except for Hurley). Come to think of it, except for Juliet and Sun, I also disliked most of the women.

Sarah
        February 11, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I LOVE SUN!!! She’s definitely my favorite character, and she’s been really neglected the past season and a half. I hope she gets more to do in the final season.

Poncho
          February 16, 2010 at 11:45 am

I like Sun very much. But Juliet’s my favorite gal by far!

I will miss her so very much this season.