Kick Some Ass, Get a Scholarship

Submitted by on August 4, 2009 – 10:24 pm 12 Comments

England’s The Guardian reports that thriller writer Lee Child has established several scholarships named after his fictional hero Jack Reacher for students going to Sheffield University, Child’s alma mater.

I think this is the coolest thing. Not only is it incredibly generous of Child to do this, can you imagine saying “I’m going to university on a full Reacher scholarship?” Do you have to get straight As to qualify or can you just kick some bullies’ asses? Either way, you’re making the school a better place.

If you could go/could have gone to college on a scholarship named after a fictional character, who would it be? I would’ve hustled for a Wonder Woman [“I got through Ivy League via the Justice League”], James Bond [“My GPA was four-point-double 0”] or Sherlock Holmes [“Professor Moriarty from Criminology hated me”] scholarship.

• Shelley P says:

LOL ~ I love your choices, PCN! I’d try for the Sherlock Holmes one – if Robert Downey Jr was there to bestow it on me…

• ARB says:

I would like the Parker Scholarship please. Parker is the incredible badass of Richard Stark’s (aka Donald Westlake) series of raw novels.
    Since he is a freelance thief, it should also come with a big bag of money. And, of course, the scholarship should be to Haaavaaard.

• Reader#9 says:

And if you received the full Reacher Scholarship, do you have to come to college with just the clothes on your back? No personal belongings?

Call me silly, but I would like to have been educated on the Winnie the Pooh Scholarship. Perhaps Tigger could have been a roommate.

• novelwhore says:

Oh I definitely would like to have had a full Scarlett O’Hara scholarship: business savvy woman who looks good while she’s outsmarting the men and overstepping boundaries!

This is generous of Child; great publicity ploy as well.

• Debbie says:

I’d love to get a Doctor of Philosophy on a Siddartha Scholarship. I wouldn’t have to get all “A”s, taking the middle path with a “C” would be sublime. This would come after getting my undergrad degree from Duke on a Myron Bolitar soccer scholarship. I think Myron played basketball, but I’m better at soccer.

• Hayley says:

I’d love to study child psychology on a Harry Potter scholarship. I’d be promoting the message that children can overcome great adversity to become great leaders.

• Lenore says:

I wish I could have had a Yoda scholarship for my English undergrad studies. That way, when I was hungover and my papers had bad syntax, my professors would have just thought I was being wise.

• Shelley P, if RDJ’s bestowing scholarships, I’d try for 9 different degrees and never leave school.

ARB, if you had that bag of money, would you stay in school or leave the country?

Reader#9, ha! Reacher scholars are allowed a travel toothbrush. I’d love a Pooh scholarship, especially if it comes with tubs o’ honey.

novelwhore, good one! And the scholarship should include room & board in a white Colonial.

Debbie, I’ll adopt that philosophy, too, if Cs are considered sublime. And I didn’t know you played soccer! (Wonder what I’d have to do to get a Win scholarship. Yikes.)

Hayley, though the HP scholarship doesn’t exist (yet), I hope you get to accomplish your goal.

Lenore, I should’ve used that excuse with my teachers! (Not that I was ever hungover, more like lazy.)

• BIZMAN5 says:

Presenting….THE GANDALF the GREY SCHOLARSHIP!!! YAY!! Betcha they give me a cool staff and a really cool robe, too.

Yes, I am indeed immature.

• Corey Wilde says:

I went to the New Amsterdam School for Bartending on a Dortmunder Scholarship, but I flunked out.

How about a Frodo Scholarship (Fellowship?) to study Podiatry?

• BIZMAN5, one can never be too old for a cool staff and robe.

Corey, ha! I hear in the Dortmunder profession, you don’t need a degree anyway.

EIREGO, I ain’t putting my hands on hairy Hobbit feet, scholarship or no.