Home » TV

AMERICAN IDOL Season 9: Meet the Top 24 (Spoilers)

Submitted by on February 18, 2010 – 1:30 am 16 Comments

FOX unveiled their other 24 tonight (the kind without Jack Bauer) and there were few surprises. Starting next week, when American Idol goes live, the following will be vying for your votes:

GIRLS

7. Tim Urban **
  8. Jermaine Sellers
  9. Tyler Grady
  10. Aaron Kelly
  11. John Park
  12. Andrew Garcia

* Some websites are reporting that Mike Lynche was replaced after his father confirmed to a newspaper back in January that Lynche had made the top 24, violating a confidentiality agreement (click here to read People.com’s article). FOX hasn’t made an official announcement.

** A replacement for Chris Golightly, who was disqualified after making the top 24. Read more about it here.

It’s way too early to predict but I think Bowersox, Garcia, Benami, Stevens and Dewyze are the ones to watch. Since the real competition starts next week, time to start learning their names!

What did you think of this bunch? Is there an Adam Lambert in there? Who’s being eliminated first next week?

Thanks for the list. I didn’t write them down, so it’s a good thing someone was paying attention. It’s a strong group and much more talented than last year if you ask me.

I followed those links for Michael Lynche and Tim Urban. Can’t understand the crazy that happens with this show. Don’t know whether to believe it or not, but it makes for some interesting discussions, right?

Wonder how strained the relationship between Lynche and his Dad is right now. Imagine what the guy is going through.

Michael Lynche is, like, I got picked for American Idol! YAY!! I’m a Dad!! YAY!!! I made it through Hollywood Week on American Idol!! YAY!! I got picked to be one of the top 24!!! YAY!!! My Dad ruined it all!!! Ya—-HE DID WHAT??!?!???!

• FFBUFF8 says:

Can hardly wait for next week when we can actually see these contestants do an entire song.

Still no official word on Michael Lynche, but the whole thing with Chris Golightly being replaced by Tim Urban seems to be everywhere.

• SCRIPTPIMP says:

Great to see the new line up, but was bummed out that Poor Girl (sorry, I don’t remember her name) didn’t make the cut. She was better than a lot of those others. I hope she ends up one of the alternates. I could really do without Katelyn Epperly.

I am going to call it the top ten right now:

Males:
    CASEY JAMES
    TODRICK HALL
    ANDREW GARCIA
    ALEX LAMBERT
    LEE DEWYZE

Females:
    CRYSTAL BOWERSOX (will win)
    DIDI BENAMI
    HALEY VAUGHN
    ASHLEY RODRIGUEZ
    KATIE STEVENS

There, I said it, er, wrote it.

Oh, by Poor Girl, I think you mean Hope Johnson! I called her Young Shania Twain (gorgeous, poverty-stricken childhood) before I knew her name. I was rooting for her, too, but must admit she wasn’t that strong once the pressure got to her. Hope she tries again next year.

I think Bowersox will win, too! Katie Stevens can’t be discounted, though.

About all I’ve seen of this season’s AI is a few bits during auditions. My husband and I had a good laugh when Katy Perry was the guest judge. I think a particularly “unique” or unhappy contestant had just left and Katy asks something like “Are these people frisked before coming in here?” I think it was her concerned face in contrast to the other 3’s more relaxed, same-old-same-old looks that struck us as funny.

I’ll keep an ear out for your favorites when Brian has it on. And I’d be willing to bet Mike’s dad is feeling three kinds of bad if Mike does indeed get booted off.

That “frisked” comment was valid after that particularly scary guy auditioned! It was funny how the guest judges always had different reactions from the regular ones because they hadn’t learned how to put on their poker face yet.

• Poncho says:

OK Now will be the time I start watching AI (well I did watch the Katy Perry ep and I think her responses to Kara were the best ever: “It’s not a Lifetime movie, sweetheart”… LOL).

Now, let’s see what happens next.

Thanks, PCN!

• Paulette says:

OKAY! Now, I will learn all of names and put forth opinions. I, also, cannot wait to hear entire songs and begin to judge the interpretive abilities of singers. Who is your favorite all-time Idol contestant?

• I’ll try and chase around some of these episodes on cable now that it’s down to the juicy stuff! Chris Golightly seems very hard done by, based on that information ~ the inconsistency is crazy.