I Want to Go to There

Submitted by on July 16, 2010 – 5:43 pm 21 Comments

It’s been 9000 degrees here in L.A. and my A/C has been running around the clock just so I can breathe and not look like I’ve been hit by Super Soakers loaded with sweat. Terrified I’d get an $800 electric bill next month, I fled my home for the nearby Barnes & Noble because 1) it’s cold enough for penguins to live there and 2) it has books, food and bathrooms. What else do you need? (OK, maybe showers and a butler.)

I strolled the aisles, fondling books inappropriately, and these covers caught my eye:

Can you tell where my head was? I don’t know what these books are about or if I want to read them, but just looking at the covers has taken my body temp down about 60 degrees.

What book covers would represent your current state of mind?

• I’m terrified about my electricity bill for the opposite reason ~ can’t crank the eco-heater up high enough! I’ll head out and fondle some books inappropriately and see if that works for me, too. 🙂

And wasn’t it Miami-like this morning with the hot rain? This time of year, when the monsoonal flow brings up the humidity in these parts, makes for some startling skies (thunderheads over the mountains and deserts to the north and east of us) and some pretty UN-comfortable people. I think there were brown-outs, too, today. Keep cool, Elyse 😉

I’m very sensitive to weather. I feel really energized when it’s sunny and like Eeyore when it rains. Today, with the out-of-nowhere rain then sun, I was gloomy then happy and Jekyll and Hyde-y!

What are brown-outs?

You and your family stay cool, too. Thanks, Michael.

A brownout is a temporary interruption of power service in which the electric power is reduced, rather than being cut as is the case with a blackout. As you’d expect, with yesterday’s weather, air conditioning use was high and the power grid was hit hard. The California ISO can institute brownouts to help the grid stay out of serious problems. HTH

Can’t think of any book covers off the top of my head, but I’m liking the look of THE SWIMMING POOL! I’m more likely to experience cabin fever with weather like this than in the winter. You can remove every stitch of clothing and you’ll still be hot, wilted and miserable. (Not to mention scaring the public.) 😉

Come rain or shine, any time’s a good time to go to the local bookstore and fondle books inappropriately.

CHRISTINE!!

Good to see you again! I tend to stay inside whenever it gets too hot OR cold. I rarely get cabin fever, though, because I can hunker down for days if I have enough food and books to read.

I scare the public all the time when the weather gets extreme. Once when I was in NYC and it was their coldest day in 85 years, I wore a huge down parka borrowed from a friend that made me look, in my husband’s words, “like a giant Michelin Man about to attack Tokyo.”

I’m stressing about my electric bill too. I think I’ve had my air on more this summer already than the whole of last summer…and we haven’t even hit August yet! Yee gads! I’m trying to keep the air as low as I can without melting my dogs. They handle the heat a lot worse than I. I’m a freeze baby. I can tolerate pretty hot. The humidity is the killer!

Tess Gerritsen’s new book ICE COLD might fit into your temp-dropping group, though.

I’m trying to think of a book cover that is well representative of chaos. My house is in chaos, my work is in chaos. I’ll be so glad for this coming week to be over…I already know I’ll be ridiculously busy at work. Not happy about this. I don’t like to wish my life away, but I’m praying this week goes by quickly!

My parents are coming to stay with me this week. I’m really excited to see them but have a lot of tidying and cleaning up to make my place guest-ready. I’ve been putting stacks of books in the guest bedroom for lack of a better place. I now have to find somewhere else to put them so my parents can actually have some space in there!