For the last two years, when Maxim released their annual Hot 100 list, which is all about women with fabulous T & A, I posted my own nerdy hot list of celebs who are sexy because they’re awkward and goofy. Since Maxim published their list last week, it’s time for my 2011 edition.
- Emma Stone. If she wasn’t such a good actress, we probably wouldn’t believe her as an outcast in movies like Easy A. But she’s hot because she’s so funny and convincing as the goofy girl, and one who’s never dumb.
- Kat Dennings. She’s beautiful, but she never leads with that. The most appealing things about Dennings, now appearing in Thor, are her dry wit and intelligence.
- Anne Hathaway. When we first saw her in The Princess Diaries, she practically had a unibrow pre-makeover. She recently promoted Rio while wearing giant glasses and will play nerdy again in the upcoming One Day. We know she’s actually quite stunning, but her apparent enthusiasm for portraying awkward characters makes her sexy.
- Emily Deschanel. Her Dr. Temperance Brennan defines social ineptitude on Bones, but she’s hot because she’s always the smartest woman in the room.
- Sofia Vergara. Yes, it’s obvious she’s gifted physically, but I never thought she was gorgeous until she made me laugh out loud week after week on Modern Family with her hilarious antics and constant mangling of English idioms.
- Julie Bowen. She usually shows up on the red carpet looking amazing, but her funny comments about her “full-body Spanx,” which she wears even while sleeping, cement her status as nerdy hot. Her ability to make neurotic behavior funny on Modern Family also qualifies her for this list.
- Rachel McAdams. Last fall’s Morning Glory was so ridiculous, it made me roll my eyes often and hard. But McAdams was its one saving grace, even if her character Becky lacked grace, getting herself into more than one embarrassing situation. The scene in which Becky freaks out when first meeting Harrison Ford’s legendary character is cringeworthy, but only because McAdams nailed the nerdgasm many of us would probably have if we run into Han Solo in an elevator.
- Emily Blunt. She’s attractive enough to be cast as one of the models in The Devil Wears Prada but I’m glad she plays the bitter assistant instead. Blunt is much more fun as the outsider or misfit, in movies like Sunshine Cleaning and Dan in Real Life, in which she has a small memorable role as a woman nicknamed Pig Face.
- Jayma Mays. On Glee, Emma’s OCD tendencies and virginal status could easily make her tedious. As Mays plays her, Emma is heartbreaking and beautiful.
- Kristen Wiig. She could have just been another pretty blonde, but her commitment to cracking us up with her goofy characters on SNL and in Bridesmaids (out today) makes her stand out from the crowd.
Who’s on your nerdy hot list?