Home » Books & writing, Movies

Angelina Jolie Carves Out New Role as Kay Scarpetta

Submitted by on April 22, 2009 – 9:49 am 9 Comments

I used to read Patricia Cornwell’s Kay Scarpetta series back in the ’90s until it started going downhill. After that major thing with Benton, I felt they became unreadable and Scarpetta just wasn’t fun to spend time with anymore. The woman became so dour.

But my interest is now piqued again because Variety reports that Angelina Jolie will play Scarpetta in a possible franchise for Fox 2000. Whoa, Nelly, this makes the coroner way sexier than she was described in the books but I like Jolie’s work and she has that dark side that will be appropriate for a character who mostly deals with dead people. Jolie also has an arresting screen presence so hopefully she’ll make Scarpetta appealing again. I certainly think she’s a better choice than Demi Moore, who was widely rumored to be the front-runner for the role when Columbia had the rights in 1992.

Any Patricia Cornwell fans out there? How do you feel about Jolie embodying the author’s most famous creation?

• Eddy says:

I read the first two books, then gave up on her. If I remember correctly I was turned off because in one of the books the character “who done it” wasn’t introduced until the last third or fourth of the book.

• ShelleyP says:

I’ve only read one – you know me, not too good with the gory, grisley stuff, so though I enjoyed it in a way, one was enough. But I love the idea of Angelina Jolie in that role – nothing like the picture I have in my head of Scarpetta, but if they want to turn up the heat, what a way to do it.

• popculturenerd says:

I’m not good with gore, either, ShelleyP—no Saw for me! If the main characters and the plot are really compelling, I might power through the grisly stuff with one eye open but Scarpetta became mirthless so I lost interest.

• Lizabeth Ann says:

Same here. I stopped reading Scarpetta novels after that totally unbelievable Benton thing, but I do look forward to seeing Jolie in the role of Scarpetta. Can’t think of a better choice.

• BizMan5 says:

I gave them a chance to woo me by reading the first 3. Lost interest in them, but I will buy a ticket for the movie if Angelina is in them.

• Julie says:

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong choice in my opinion. UGH! Another role Angelina will get just because of who she is. Bet she hasn’t even read the books.

I bet I’m in the minority.

• I love Jolie so I am happy with this. I lost interest in the series also but I have Scarpetta to read as I hear she PCornwell gets back on track.

I told a friend and she said NOOOOOOOO!!! lol she hates Jolie and said Scarpetta doesn’t look like that whench. hahahahaha

Great debate

I do think she is a better choice then DebiM even though I like her also.

My immediate choice would have been Diane Lane.